(Nebraska City) -- Nebraska City is getting another financial break in constructing a replacement for the 4th Corso Viaduct.

At its regular meeting Monday night, the Nebraska City City Council authorized Mayor Bryan Bequette to sign a supplemental agreement for an additional $2.6 million in federal funds for the project. City Administrator Grayson Path tells KMA News city officials discovered the money was available last fall while searching for additional funding sources for the project, which originally cost more than $7 million.

"About a year-and-a-half ago," said Path, 'the city was facing a $7.1 million cost in order to replace the 4th Corso Viaduct. That was construction, right-of-way purchase, utilities--the whole gamut. Over the last year-and-a-half, the mayor, the staff and some citizens have been looking for additional revenues to cover that cost."

Path says the $2.6 million followed the original $4 million in federal funds awarded to the project. He says the additional dollars are repurposed funds originally awarded to other projects.

"These funds are dedicated for federal projects," he said. "But, sometimes those projects do not happen. So after 10 years, they are allowed to be purposed. So, there are projects in the area that did not happen. We spoke with the Department of Roads. We were able to get $2.6 (million) to come back our way."

Path says the extra dollars are a big boost to the project--and the city, in general.

"We have other projects in town," said Path. "We have other bridges, other roads. We have other projects we want to do--even nonstructural projects we want to do. We didn't want to put all of our tax dollars into one big project. So, this is a major boost for our overall infrastructure, and for the community."

He says the project is still on track for a 2018 construction start.

"Speaking with the Department of Roads, we're still looking to let the bids out for contractors' construction by the end of this summer--closer to the fall," he said. "We're looking at dismantling the current viaduct sometime this late fall-early winter, with construction of the new viaduct early next year."

Once completed, the new viaduct will replace the original bridge closed in June, 2015 after an inspection revealed dangers to both vehicles and the public.

In other business Monday night, the commissioners approved a request from Nebraska City Tourism and Commerce for $25,000 in city economic growth funds to help celebrate the state of Nebraska's 150th birthday. Council members also approved an amendment to the Nebraska Department of Roads Electric Facilities Relocation Agreement. Recommended by the Board of Public Workers, the agreement entailed a change order totaling more than $72,000 for the Highway 2-75 bypass project.